Saturday, August 4, 2012

Learning Foreign Languages with Skype (English)


Hello, everyone!

Today I would like to talk a little bit about my experience of learning foreign languages. I started learning English when I was at the 5th. grade of the (old system) elementary school in São Paulo, Brazil. Because I wanted to learn more, I applied for a partial scholarship an English language school was offering to the students of the elementary school I used to attend. I passed the test with a good grade and they offered me a substantial discount. São Paulo is a megalopolis and I used to live in the East Side of it. The English school was downtown. I was just 11 so my mother took me every Saturday to this English language school. It took us one hour and a half to arrive there, the lesson was 2 hours long and it took us another one and a half to go back home. We used to be around 5 hours away from home and most of this time was spent in public transportation.

This was 30 years ago. Moving around São Paulo to attend an English language course or do any other type of activities was considered very tiring. Nowadays, I hear many people saying they lose a lot of time moving around the city to study a foreign language or their working hours just don’t allow them to attend a language school. Another thing is that many people work in shifts, want to attend a language course but their irregular working hours don’t allow them even to start a course.

People could have a private teacher but many people wouldn’t feel comfortable have a private teacher come to their places. They could go somewhere such as a café to have private lessons but then we go back to the matter of moving around which is something that many people want to avoid.

There is a solution to all these problems! It’s the Internet! Yes, the Internet! You can have foreign language lessons in the comfort of your home and at the time you want! You must be thinking: “How???”

I prepared a video about foreign language lessons with skype. Do you skype? It is a video conference software. Many people use skype to talk with family members and friends but it can also be used for educational purposes such as language learning.

Please, watch the video!



You may be living in the UK, having lessons with a Spanish teacher who lives in China! In other words, it doesn’t matter where you are and where your teacher is.

I have a very good teachers’ team who work with me at Southern Cross Language Office. We will be very happy to help you in your foreign language studies. We offer interested people an interview / mini-lesson free of charge.

Contact us!

All the best!

Alex.


1 comment:

  1. Great deal to take advantage of skype english school from http://preply.com/en/english-by-skype. This is a whole new approach in the education evolution.

    ReplyDelete